Understanding Your Digestion
Ever since I was a kid, I always fluctuated with my weight. I also had a lot of stomach problems but was still kind of able to eat whatever I wanted as long as I worked out and used up as much fuel as I could muster. Then... everything changed.
I started dating my now husband. In our first year, I was in pretty good shape, while staying consistent with working out and eating somewhat healthy. Then one night I woke up at about 3am with so much nausea, in extreme discomfort, sometimes vomiting, sometimes diarrhea and sometimes I was so scared to leave the toilet that I would make a bed on the floor with blankets and towels and stay in there for a couple hours. This vicious cycle started happening a couple nights a week.
It made no sense at all. This is when my husband told me about podcasts. I had never heard of them before but he thought that maybe I could find some answers. I came across this podcast called Kick It Naturally. This changed my life! The podcast was about changing your body's physiology through correcting your digestion. The best part was….I didn't have to go to the doctor all the time to correct it. They gave you a course for .50 cents on how to do it yourself.
So I got all the tools I needed to start correcting my digestion. You see what I learned was essentially this. Your body creates two chemicals in the stomach in order to break down your food and absorb the nutrients from it. Bile and acid. Bile is a green sticky substance that helps remove toxins from the body and helps aid the liver. Acid is that nasty stuff you sometimes burp up, that burns and you're like “f$%k that hurt!” It hurts because it is the thing that combines with bile to literally explode your food. This allows your body to take what it needs and remove the rest. Sometimes as we get older, our body isn't so good at producing one or the other or even both. This is when correcting it comes into play. To me this made so much sense. I was always feeling sick about 8 hours after eating. Which is exactly how much time it takes for food poisoning to set in. So I knew that my body was taking in something that it didn't like. Only problem was that it felt like it was everything, I was scared to eat!
While in the program it teaches you how to use all natural supplements to start getting your digestion to work correctly. After only two weeks of taking the supplements, I completely stopped getting sick in the middle of the night. It was amazing! What made it even better is that I was doing this all on my own at my own pace.
I would go right in and tell you exactly how to do this program but everyone is different and I don't personally know or understand your physiology, Thats also not what this is about. It's about you deciding you want the change and you want to better understand your body. So I think it is imperative for you to do the work. However....I can give you some tips on how to get started, stay organized and stick with it.
1. Be optimistic!! You're not an alien. Everyone digests food and everyone does it differently. This might be the only thing you need to understand to feel better.
2. Budget!! There is going to be a point where you're going to have to purchase supplements and equipment to further understand your body in the course. This doesn't mean you have to purchase it right away but you will have to commit in order to get all of your answers. At the bottom of this blog I will share links that show you the equipment needed. Don't worry.....it's not hundreds of dollars.
3. Find a designated area where you want to keep all of your tools and equipment for your own personal digestion area.
4. Get a small ring binder to keep all you paper work in
5. Get a supplement container to help you keep track and to have your supplements with you at all times.
6. Yes...the free course is going to cost you something in the end but it's worth every penny because the point is eventually for you to be able to go off the supplements. I now don't have to take any of them unless I'm preparing to need some extra aid with a certain type of meal.
7. Be patient! Like I said above, it took 2 weeks for my 3am episodes to completely go away but it did start happening less often almost immediately.
8. Don't get too caught up in the numbers. I more so think you should pay attention to how you're feeling. Feeling better is ultimately what we want.
9. You may need to do more work that just this course. I did! But this gave me a solid foundation to at least understand my body and I will always be able to go back to it if Im ever feeling a bit off. Plus I was as able to sleep. Sleep is good! It only gets better from here.
Here is a list of the tools that the course is going to recommend. All can be found on my Amazon Storefront here
Blood pressure monitor
Kick Your Fat in the Nuts Book (if you want to go further into your physiology)